A 39-year-old man has been charged in relation to the theft of a motorcycle and a serious traffic crash.
It is alleged the man stole a red and silver Honda motorcycle from a home in Orelia on Tuesday, 9 June 2020.
It is further alleged just over a month later – at approximately 4am on Saturday, 4 July 2020 – that police on patrol on Leach Highway attempted to stop the same Honda motorcycle.
The rider initially stopped, however when the officers exited their vehicle it will be alleged the rider accelerated away, crossing to the wrong side of Leach Highway.
The officers soon after attended a crash scene and established the motorcycle had collided head-on with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The car and motorcycle both caught fire.
The Dianella man received serious injuries and was conveyed by ambulance to Royal Perth Hospital and fortunately the female driver of the Jeep only received minor injuries.
It is further alleged during a search of the motorcycle rider police located a quantity of drugs and unlawfully obtained property.
As a result, the man is due to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court on 4 August 2020 charged with:
• Driver of a Vehicle Fail to Comply with a Direction to Stop (Circumstance of Aggravation);
• Reckless Driving to Escape Pursuit by Police;
• Steal Motor Vehicle and Drive Recklessly;
• Dangerous Driving Causing Bodily Harm (In circumstance of Aggravation);
• Possession of Methylamphetamine with Intent to Sell or Supply;
• Possess Stolen or Unlawfully Obtained Property; and
• Possessed any Drug Paraphernalia in which there was a Prohibited Drug or Plant.